Thursday, February 6, 2014

A traditional Pakistani sweet dish - Split Gram Fudge

Though I had written this post a while back but due to some technical reasons, I lost the draft. Searching for words and then framing them can be sometimes a painful task specially when you are already lagging behind. Writing should come as a flow and in my humble opinion cannot be crafted. I have been a little out of touch with my reading agenda. The other day, when I was visiting a book store, I seriously felt my heart dropped. So the reading and writing (read frequent blogging) has climbed up in my to-do list and hopefully I am able to keep up to it.


Coming back to today's recipe, this is one of my favorite Pakistani sweets. Its made up of very few (high fat) ingredients and you are going to hook to it. Its main ingredient is Split Gram, also called Split Bengal Gram. It is boiled, ground and made into a fudge. 'Halwa' is the traditional Urdu word which we use in Pakistani cuisine to what is commonly known as fudge. My little research revealed that Halwa/Fudge is popular among all parts of the world. It can be of different types, like made from carrot, pumpkin, almond, walnut etc.

Split Gram Lentils Fudge / Chanay ki daal ka halwa

Ingredients
Split Gram Lentils 250 gm soaked for 6 hours
Sugar 250 gm
Clarified Butter or Ghee 3/4 cup
Milk 1/2 litre
Green Cardamom few crushed and few whole
Almonds and pistachios blanched and sliced
Saffron few strands

Method
1. Drain water from the soaked lentils. 
2. Boil milk and add lentils and saffron.
3. Cook on medium heat till the milk dries and lentils are tender.
4. Cool and blend with little water if required. There should be no lumps.
5. In a separate pan, heat clarified butter or ghee. Add cardamom and then add lentil paste.
6. Fry for 15 minutes till light brown on slow heat, stirring continuously.
7. Add sugar and continue to fry until it forms a ball and fat is separated.
8. Remove it in a lightly greased square/rectangle dish and sprinkle nuts. 
9. Allow to cool before cutting diamond shaped pieces.
10. They keep well in a air tight container for upto a week.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    Thank you for making us able to cook,your procedures are so simple,one can easily make food following your blog...again thank full to you and waiting for your blog

    ReplyDelete

Sharing is caring

Related Posts with Thumbnails